Sunday, September 8, 2013

Hats and Hearts at SMS

Thanks to all of the SMS students and staff that participated in Hats on for Hearts Day on Friday. We had a wonderful display of hats... and hearts! Thanks to those that sported fishing caps, furry hats, and no hats (but decided to donate anyway!)

We collected $310 and our awesome SMS Student Council is going to MATCH that amount so we are sending $620 to the American Heart Association via Mr. Eldon Cutter. Mr. Cutter is going to participate in his second annual Heart Walk this Saturday and he'll turn in our big donation at that time.

For those of you that are new to our school, there is a pretty amazing story about Mr. Cutter's interest in the Heart Walk...

On May 9, 2012, during REACH (our homeroom), I had symptoms of an oncoming heart attack. I identified those symptoms by comparing them with the SMS Life Science lessons I taught on Cardiovascular Systems and Health and confirming those symptoms with a former student's poster the I left on my classroom wall. I was taken to the ER at Scott Memorial Hospital. EKGs, Stress Tests, and a Heart Catheterization led me to a Coronary Triple By-Pass Surgery at Columbus Regional Hospital on June 12, 2012. 


The American Heart Association supports great medical advancements made in heart medicine.  My cardiac blockages and aneurysm (rupture would be instant death) were diagnosed before a heart attack occurred.  For me, these medical advancements resulted in successful surgery, very little pain, and being released from the hospital 3 days after surgery.  

Thanks for your support via the SMS Student Council Hat Day fund raiser.  I plan to walk on Saturday on behalf of my students, co-workers, family, friends, and others who are heart disease survivors or victims. 

Check out my AMA Heart Walk web page if you want to learn more. Also, I'm inviting anyone who wants to join me for the AHA Heart Walk which is held on Saturday, September 14, 2013 at the Ivy Tech Community College, Columbus, Indiana. Pre-Walk Activities begins at 8:00 am and the Opening Ceremonies at 9:00 am. Thank you!

Go, Mr. Cutter, Go! Have a great walk. Our HEARTS are behind you every step of the way!



No comments:

Post a Comment